Monday, June 2, 2014

Sharing

As long as we have been alive we have been told to share; SHARE your toys, etc.

As an educator, I believe that most teachers are GREAT "sharers". Most educators are willing to share their lesson ideas, resources and even time when asked. I question why so many educators when given an environment to SHARE, simply shy away. Please don't think I am referring to ALL educators, as I have learned so much about teaching by adding wonderful teachers to my personal learning network. There are GREAT "sharers" out there, but wouldn't it be great if we ALL contributed? I have relied on my PLN as I am a CTE teacher who did not get any undergraduate training on teaching, and frankly have not any formal teaching education prior to pursuing a graduate degree.

I ask this question today as I plan to attend my next conference this weekend (the Google Summit in Grand Forks). Many times when I attend a conference, I submit to offer a session or two. Although I have many sessions I enjoy offering, my favorite is promoting a personal learning network. During this session, I typically begin by promoting "lurking" or just checking it out. There are many different places to lurk including Twitter, Google +, Blogs, and even Facebook to name a few. Lurking is okay, but I like to look at professional learning much like a potluck dinner. You may not bring the best tasting dish, salad, dessert, etc. to the picnic, but you bring something and you leave FULL. It would not be polite to come to the picnic without anything... would it? Looking at PD in this way, you may think you are only bringing the forks and napkins, but without them many wouldn't enjoy the meal as much. Maybe you bring your homemade pecan pie (If I am lucky, this is what my sister-in-law brings :) ), and before you leave many people are asking for the recipe (Why? because they want MORE!).

So my challenge to you is this: When looking at professional development take what you want, but give something. Whether you contribute your own ideas, or share (retweet, +1, or whatever you call it on your network) something you have learned from others, SHARE. What you may think is old news, may be new to someone at the table.

Don't feel the need to overshare (which may be just as bad as lurking as nobody pays attention to your posts) but SHARE as often as you feel necessary. Together we can grow faster than separately. Either online or in person, I look forward to learning with you soon!

2 Comments:

At June 2, 2014 at 6:49 PM , Blogger Janet O'Hara said...

Nice Post Mike!

 
At June 3, 2014 at 6:04 PM , Blogger @kellyrexine said...

Great post Mike! I highly agree when you said, "What you may think is old news, may be new to someone at the table." Looking forward to connect with you at Google Summit!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home